Monday, June 3, 2013

HOF Exhibit


One summer I went to Canton

To visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame

As I stared at the exhibits: a voice called out

“Boy this game has changed”

 

I turned to find behind me

A man in padded gear

Teeth were missing

And he was scarred from ear to ear

 

He said: Son, I played in the NFL

In its prehistoric years

And the way they present it

Isn’t how the game appeared

 

I chuckled and thought

“Boy this reenactor is good

He has the uniform, the gear

Appearing as it should

 

He grinned wryly

A smile between fake and real

I didn’t care for his ways

And the way it made me feel

 

 

He spoke tragically

As if he lost a friend

Or he was reliving

Where it all began

 

He proceeded to tell his tale

Of men lifted by the tongs

From the mines and the college fields

Survival only attained by the strong

 

He said: They called us brutes

They called us men of blood

They scorned and said: We only played for money

They termed us hired guns

 

We didn’t have the pageantry

We didn’t have the lace

It was inappropriate at our games

For a lady to show her face

 

We played on fields of dirt

For two hundred down

And we weren’t offered endorsements

After we won the crown

 

 

Our names except for a few are forgotten

Thrope, Hutson, Baugh, and Grange

Are the only fossils still

Remembered in this day and age

 

Men like Chamberlin and Battles

Friedman, Parker, and Blood

Good as today’s stars

And yet never heard of

 

I pondered all this

As he continued on

And when he finished

I asked: To what team did you belong?’

 

He smiled that wryly grin again

And slowly disappeared like a faded photograph

I dashed to the pictures to take a look

I found him and I wished I ask for his autograph

 












Don't use without permission

No comments:

Post a Comment