Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Dixie Lass

This poem/song was inspired by the song "The Yellow Rose of Texas" my favorite song out of the American Civil War songs.  Also, there are elements of "Oh Susanna" in it.



"Dixie Lass"
 

 

There was a lass in Dixie

Who was mighty fine

And she told me, she was all mine

Then I went off to war

And left her weeping at the door

When I married her that wonderful day

I promised her to never go away

But as much as I try to keep war at bay

It used its age old weapon of masculine sway

I left her bonnie-blue eyes

And gold-wheat hair

And cotton-colored complexion fair

Down in Dixie

Now we are far apart

And it's just breaks my heart

I'm struck drinking Virginia whiskey

When she is way down in the heart of Dixie

I'm feeling awfully low as far as any man can go

I'm sentenced to the firing line of the lovers' death row

As soon as the war ends I be aglow

I go back to the girl I left long ago




 Don't reuse without permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment