Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Vote

This poem is inspired by the election. No matter what party or wing you are on, we can all agree that voting is a necessity. To honor those brave patriots of 76.



“Vote”

 

 

Every election, Grandpa would get dressed up in a suit

Just to go out and vote

We all say Grandpa, all you’re doing is voting

It’s not church or a funeral

He would look straight at us and say

“Many men died for our right”

“To be able to vote without fear or fright”

“Our great-great-great grandfather froze in Morristown”

“Waiting for the day to cast a ballot down”

 

After that, He would head out

Come back with a sticker that said I voted

Looking back while casting my first vote

I realize what he was so devoted about

The thrill of selecting a leader,

The responsibility in my hands

Someday to my kids I will say

“We own a debt to the patriots of yesterday”

“Honor them with a vote”


Notes: I choose Morristown instead of Valley Forge because Morristown was actually a worse winter than Valley Forge.

All rights reserved. Don't reprint or reuse without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment